Grade/Academic Grievance Procedures

Information regarding the Student Academic Grievance Procedures is available from Advising & Academic Services, University Hall, Room 380, 909-537-5034; information is also available on the Advising & Academic Services website.

A student may appeal a final course grade or a grade on a Comprehensive Examination or a project (e.g., art exhibition) or thesis required for graduation. An appeal may be initiated on the basis of:

  1. Clerical error
  2. Capricious or prejudicial evaluation
  3. Inconsistent or inequitably applied standards for evaluation

Students may also appeal other types of academic decisions. These include, but are not limited to:

  1. Denial of admission to or dismissal from a course, major or program
  2. Placement on academic probation
  3. Suspension or dismissal from the university

A simple allegation or unsubstantiated assertion is an insufficient basis for lodging a formal complaint. Students must support their allegations with evidence compelling enough to give the Academic Grievance Committee reason to hold a formal hearing.